Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lesson 5, Why Bible Study? To Worship God

Studying the Bible Teaches Us How to Worship God. David praised the Creator from the depths of his heart. He penned many of his words in the genre of Hebrew poetry, the Psalms. He transformed these poems into songs whenever he played musical instruments to his lyrics. 


Young David played the harp for King Saul. On some occasions his music relieved Saul's troubled spirit, but on others the wicked king hurled a spear at David. (1 Samuel 19:19). Later Saul would relentlessly pursue the life of this young man. In the chase, David emptied his heart to the Creator. Life events caused words to well up in his soul. His story rose before the Father in song.   

"The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears" (Psalm 18:4-6).

David worshiped God fleeing from Saul in the cave. "Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed. I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills his purpose for me" (Psalm 57:1-2). The life of this young shepherd illustrates for us how to worship the Father. When trouble overwhelmed him, words flowed from his heart into God's ears.

Have you ever needed to express yourself to God yet didn't have the right words? I have. Filling my mind with the Psalms has helped me connect with God countless times. Like David, our words should rise before the LORD as a living song. Our Father waits for us to bring our song to Him. Studying the Bible equips us to express more effectively our life stories to God in worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment